Have been a little quiet on the blog front lately - sorry! No excuses - just being generally avoidant really.
Uni this semester is going to be FULL-ON to say the least, however, it has certainly got me thinking about my lifestyle and what would be my ideal life. Long-haired hippy living on a commune is certainly starting to rate up there. But I will settle for a little house on 5 acres, living as sustainably as possible.
We did an exercise in our "teaching society and environment" class that really got me thinking about what changes I could make in my world to make a difference. The mintie game... see below:
Ask the 20 participants to form a circle representing the total world population currently just over 6 billion people. Announce that each person represents 5% of the world’s population.
Ask 16 of the circle to sit down. These people represent the 80% of the world without adequate shelter. (Adequate shelter means whatever your culture deems is adequate not 3 bedrooms and a garage).
Ask 10 of these sitting to sit on the floor they represent the humans who do not have access to clean water or sanitation. Half of the world’s people.
Ask 4 of this group to lie down on their sides they represent the 20 % of humanity suffering absolute poverty. Absolute poverty is defined by the UN as trying to live on less than $1 US per day.
1 of these to lie flat on their backs representing the 3% that die each year of hunger.
2 of those standing up to put their hands above their head they represent the 10% of the world that has most of the worlds available resources – food, water, energy, medicine etc
The remaining still standing represent the 30% of the world that have modest incomes, just enough to feed, house and clothe themselves.
Announce that in your bag you have the world’s available resources, there is enough for each person to have a minty each but you are going to share them as the resources are currently shared in the world. Give the (16) group sitting and lying down 4 minties to share between them all. Then give the 16 minties that are left to the 4 people standing.
Now the figures in this example may not be 100% accurate or up to date, however it certainly reinforced to me that I need to do more. But where to start?
I grow some veggies and purchase organic where possible. I've reduced the meat content of my diet and try where possible to purchase locally produced and support small business. I am mindful of the packaging on items I buy and 2nd hand is best in my book. I compost and recycle. I actively reduce and reuse. I purchase sustainable energy and try to use my car as little as possible. But I'm sure there is MUCH more.
So I've set myself the task of being more "mindful". Seeing if there is anything that I can change in my daily tasks that might "make a difference" and appease that part of me that feels guilty for my ecological foot-print.
So you might as well come along for the journey as I track and document my progress for a month. So today I leave you with a REALLY interesting clip on urban food growing, while I try and workout where I'm going to start on my project.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment