Wednesday, June 3, 2009

To the Bestest Dad in the Whole Wide World!





Today, 60 years ago, my Dad - Graham Richard Batten - was born (thanks Nanna & Grandad). If it wasn't for that single event, I wouldn't be here (oh what a shame!!)


Now I know you all think that your Dad is the greatest in the world - but I need to inform you that that place is reserved for MY DAD! He is the greatest! No doubt about it. Why? Well let me tell you a few of the things I love about him.

1. He is ingenius when it comes to problem solving. He can figure any problem out and fix it. This may take days, months or merely minutes - but somewhere in the shed out will come just the right piece of something-or-other to solve the problem. Take for example the roof incident. Dad climbs on the roof of the shed to cleen the gutters with the blower-vac, while everyone is away from home. Now as luck would have it - he managed to knock the ladder over, leaving him stranded a good 10 feet up in the air. A lesser man would have yelled out for help, or sat there and waited for 'rescue'. Instead, after some choice language and frustration venting, he set about the task of getting down. Using an extension chord, a great deal of concentration and patience, saw a lassoe (sp?) fashioned, hooked over the end of the ladder and raised up so that he could get down. Good thing too - cause otherwise he would have been stuck out there for several hours.

But what I have learnt is that there is no point in presenting him with a problem if you don't want it solved. Even when you let him know - it is ok, I don't need to know the answer - he will still be plugging away at it until he has worked it out, only if to satisfy his own curiousity.



2. Dad has the greatest imagination! This outfit was for some scout event or other - I have no idea what he was meant to be - but I think it might have been medieval or roman or something or other. His 20 years in the Scout movement as a leader have seen him hone his skills of imagination, game play and teaching. And he has the patience of a saint when he is teaching! I am witness to this, seeing as I'm not the quickest of pupils when learning technical skills such as wood-chopping or whipper-snipping.
3. He doesn't complain about helping out on my house! I'm sure there are times where he was wishing I would find myself a husband - if only so he could palm off the maintenance and renovation of my home onto someone else. But he never complained out-loud whilst mowing, weeding, replacing verandah timbers, painting and patching holes in the wall.
4. He has great taste in women - if he didn't, then I wouldn't exist.
5. Dad has a sweet-tooth! He can always be relied upon to have a stash somewhere in his wardrobe. Especially on movie nights in! A family block of chocolate (Cadbury Fruit + Nut), Violet Crumble pieces or lollies. On the odd occasion he was caught short, a trip to the local shop for a Vienetta or better yet, Jam Donuts from the bakery. MMMMMMmmmmm!
6. Dad is an "interesting" cook! I say this with all the love I can muster. Anyone who can make a curry or stir-fry from the dead and dying contents of the bottom of the fridge deserves an applause. The dregs of several jars of jam, curled up and wrinkled apples, and limp veggies all manage to make it in. But surprisingly it all managed to taste fine!

7. He is a great buddy to take to the football! Backpack with thermos, muesli bars and a strong voice for yelling are required items for any footie game. He can give any supporter a run for their money in the yelling stakes. And here I thought it was just my Dad that yelled abuse at the umpire!! LOL... not likely! Follow all this up with a good feed of fish'n'chips.... what could be more perfect!
My Dad is a legend! ... HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD! You are my hero!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, just beautiful, sniff sniff

Bobbie said...

No I'm not anonymous, just hit the wrong button

Mama Marks said...

clare, that is an absolutely awesome tribute, brought tears to my eyes and sounded so like you (the nut doesn't fall too far from the tree - i mean that in a good way!) you almost had me thinking for a minute that your dad was the best in the world, but you know, mine still wins for me (but yours is second!) Happy Birthday Mr Batten :-)