Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Drinking to death!?!

At lunchtime today, a person in a Commonwealth Bank uniform (looking suspiciously like me!) was seen asking for a bottle of the 'cheapest beer you have' at the Boyup Brook Hotel. They then were observed to tuck a brown-paper-bag clad bottle under their arm, and slink over the road and back into the bank. Of course the "it's not good to drink on your own" sympathy gaze was evident on the bottleshop attendant's face while serving this person - until she was told what purpose the beer was being used for.


OK - yeah it was me! Carrying a bottle of Carlton Midstrength under my arm.




Now I'm not a beer drinker by any stretch of the imagination. Can't stand the smell let alone the taste. So I have a better use for it. I'm waging war on the snails and slugs that seem to think my seedlings and baby lemon tree are easy pickings. Yes - I'm drowning the suckers. I think in polite circles they call em beer traps - beer in the bottom of a saucer or container, that the snails will be drawn to by the smell - and can't get out of - subsequently drowning. This might seem a little nasty to those of you with a soft spot for snails - but better that than poison me thinks.


Here's a look of my current gardening venture - a no-dig potato crop. I've layered compost, straw and manure into a cake and put seed potatos at the base. As each little plant pops its head through the top, it is going to be covered with more manure and straw to encourage a larger crop. As you can see I made the mistake of purchasing oaten hay so have now got a bunch of weeds growing in the centre. Oh well - tis all healthy. And of course the girls had to get in on the photo as well. Posers!






And I've been blessed again by the Compost God this year - with a lovely little crop of self-sown pumpkin seedlings - not sure whether they are kent or butternut. But am going to separate them out soon and plant them in a bed all on their own.


And just cause they are too good not to share... here are a bunch of sweetpeas I picked today - this is the 6th bunch this size I've picked in 2 weeks... and there are plenty more still coming on. Not bad for 8 plants.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the blog. Blown away by the photo of the dresser & I am so impressed with the quote about the little house wanting to be a castle. Is that your words???
You are amazing with words, you know. "colour me proud"
LOL M

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle Springer said...

Clare,

Let's make a deal. You can stay with me in Canada for as long as you want, if you help me get my backyard in shape. I have this huge yard, and I have no gardening skills whatsoever. Maybe you could help me with the basics. Love your blog. Love hearing about the things that are important to you.

Kari said...

Love the flowers--so pretty. It almost has me longing for spring.

Anonymous said...

hehe...i can just picture you clare! am impressed with the garden and feel a 'clare gardens across america/canada tour' coming on as i bags some help with my sorry veggie patch too!
ps hi bobbie! xx

Anonymous said...

oh mic has a great idea there clare-will you come be my garden fairy too?
love the sweet peas-i so want a cut flower garden so i can stop spending $10 a bunch at the store.