Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Christmas Round-up

So, in lieu of a Christmas newsletter in the cards that I've sent out this year, I figured I would give a bit of a round-up of the year that was 2008 here. I know I've got 3 weeks left to run in it, but with all that is happening between now and 2009, I can't imagine I'll have much time to sit down and write.

At the beginning of this year, I was given a beautiful notebook covered in Thai Silk, and in the front pages I wrote some words that I hoped would encourage me for 2008. I wrote:

2008 - A year of...
  • Laughter
  • Fun
  • Love
  • Creativity
  • Appreciation
  • Learning
  • Experiencing
  • Travel
  • New things
  • New people
  • Growth
  • Inspiration
  • Light

I could never have guessed how prophetic these words would be. What a huge year this has been.

I started the year with some anxiety - turning 30! I had only really just got used to my 20s, I was certainly not ready to experience my 30s. This isn't where I'd pictured being by now. There were so many things I'd hoped for that hadn't come to fruition. Yet some naval gazing and some positive reinforcement from people that I admired and respected, had me looking in a new direction - how many incredible things I'd done and achieved, and so many yet to do.

In order to unleash a little more creativity, I undertook a drawing class in first semester of this year. I didn't take much in the way of art classes at school, so I was rather hesitant about my results. Although I soon worked out that drawing isn't my forte, I certainly enjoyed the classes immensely and learnt to look at the world through a different lense.

My year of travel began in February, when I took a break in Singapore with Mum and Lauren. Shopping, eating and touring were all on the agenda. The food was incredible, the shopping was cheaper than we ever expected and I think we were all impressed with the modern, clean and efficient city that Singapore is. The gardens and flowers were incredible and we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves - despite being in closer quarters than we'd experienced in over 10 years.

My next adventure was to Victoria in August - to rest, visit friends and recover from the working world. Greater hospitality I couldn't have asked for! Gippsland is such a pretty part of the country, and if finances permitted, I'd move there in a heartbeat. Lots of lovely little shops, pretty little houses - and plenty of scenic drives.

But my biggest adventure was yet to come - Thailand in October. I won't say too much about it, cause you can read about it on an early post - needless to say, it was incredible!

My folks this year have relocated to Denmark - in the South West of WA. They are now only 2 hours driving time from me, which certainly beats the 4 hours they were before. They are thoroughly enjoying their time down there, and have settled into permanent holiday mode. Denmark is blessed with great beaches, magic scenic drives, scrummy local foods from the farmgate and very pretty country. They also have in town the most INCREDIBLE tip shop. On each and every visit to Denmark, I can be found rummaging through others trash. Admittedly it is all in a shop ready for sale - but nonetheless it is still junk. I have found the most fantastic finds there, and don't think I've ever left without a car full. Some things I've kept, others I've 'done-up' for resale at the Bridgetown Markets.

My girls Matilda and Penny are still looking after me, and providing me with a steady supply of eggs. They have recently been bothered by feral cats, but they soon warn me if there are predators in the yard, so I can rescue them. They are my pride and joy and can be seen following me around as I potter in the garden.

My house is coming along - a few more veggie garden beds with hopefully another done up tomorrow. My parents kindly painted the interior of the living area and kitchen for me and replaced the lino in the kitchen, so it is looking a fair bit brighter now.

I'm still working at the Commonwealth Bank but have scaled back to part-time hours at the Boyup Brook branch. This is all in preparation for going to university again next year. I've applied to do a Grad Dip Ed in primary teaching. I've not had my offer as yet, but it should be in the post any day now. So lots of big things planned for next year.

So I think my approach to 2008 was probably on the right track. Fill my life with light and inspiration, and surround myself with people that I admire and am inspired by - and I can't go wrong.

Thanks everyone for being a part of my year that was... X

3 comments:

tamifoulger said...

Oh Clare, can we switch lives for a little while? Sometimes I yearn for bit of someone else's life. You know what I mean. What a year! By the way I love getting your little comments on my boring blog. Thanks. Tami

Mama Marks said...

Clare, what a lovely post - left me feeling all warm and fuzzy. Who knows what extra adventures & surprises 2009 will bring!

Michelle Springer said...

Sounds like 2008 was a very satisfying year indeed. Here's to 2009 being even better!